CloudFlare securely protects and speed up website as web traffic is routed through global network. CloudFlare also block threats and limit abusive spam bots and zombie crawlers from wasting your bandwidth and server resources. The result is a that you experience a significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. And the best thing is that the whole service is free with Pro settings available for a small monthly fee.
CloudFlare can be used by anyone with a website and their own domain and it takes less 5 minutes to make your site secure and fast. Adding your website calls for only a simple change in the domain’s DNS settings. There is no hardware or software to install or maintain and you do not need to change any of your site’s existing code.
Advantages of the CloudFlare system:
- Site Performance Improvement: CloudFlare has proxy servers located throughout the world. Proxy servers are located closer to your visitors, which means they will likely see page load speed improvements as the cached content is delivered from the closest caching box instead of directly off our server. There is a lot of research that shows that a faster a site, the longer a visitor stays.
- Bot and Threat Protection: CloudFlare uses data from Project Honey Pot and other third party sources, as well as the data from its community, to identify malicious threats online and stop the attacks before they even get to your site.
- Spam Comments Protection: CloudFlare leverages data from third party resources to reduce the number of spam comments on your site
- Alerting Visitors of Infected Computers: CloudFlare alerts human visitors that have an infected computer that they need to take action to clean up the malware or virus on their machine. The visitor can enter a CAPTCHA to gain access to your site.
- Offline Browsing Mode: In the event that our server is unavailable, visitors should still be able to access your site since CloudFlare serves the visitor a page from its cache.
- Lower CPU Usage: As fewer requests hit our server, this lowers the overall CPU usage of your account.
- New Site Stats: You have good tools to evaluate human traffic coming to your site, but no insight into search engine crawlers and threats. With CloudFlare, now you do.
Some limitations of the CloudFlare system:
- Currently, requests must be directed to www.$domain instead of $domain (which means you may need to make some configuration changes).
- CloudFlare caches static content from your site. While this reduces the load on your server, it means that if you make a change to an existing static file, like an image, there may be a delay before the change appears. While you are updating your site, you can put CloudFlare in Development Mode so changes appear immediately.
- CloudFlare’s basic mode cannot handle SSL certificates. If you need to use an SSL certificate, that part of your site needs to be on a subdomain that is not protected.
CloudFlare is a service that makes any website faster, safer, smarter…better. Take a tour to find out more about how it works and what you get.