Google Buzz is already making a buzz on the web, the product demo was definitely a real treat and the final product will not only be useful for geeks, it will also come in handy for non-technical users as well.
However, Yahoo has had a similar feature called Yahoo Updates for over a year now, and they have sent out a note to Business Insider, which lays out the features that are available in Google Buzz, but were already present in Yahoo Updates for a year.
Here is the email in question, courtesy Business Insider:
It’s been almost a year and a half since we first launched Yahoo! Updates – a social feature that lets people share their status, content and online activities and stay connected to what their friends and family are doing on Yahoo! and across the Web – and we wanted to share the latest on what’s happening with Updates:
- There are now more than 200 Yahoo! and third-party sites that feed into Yahoo! Updates – like Flickr, Twitter, YouTube, Yelp and Yahoo! Buzz – allowing people to see and share updates such as when they’ve uploaded photos, changed their status, buzzed up a news story or posted a new restaurant review, all from Yahoo!
- Yahoo! Updates now appear throughout the Yahoo! network, in popular sites and services like Yahoo! Mail, Yahoo.com, and Yahoo! Messenger and across our content properties, meaning people can always keep up to date with their friends’ latest activities
- Yahoo! Updates are featured prominently on the “What’s New” section of Yahoo! Mail, which is used by more than 300M people worldwide. People can also update their status and share it with friends and family directly from the “What’s New” tab
- Yahoo! Updates are now available globally
- Additionally, Yahoo! recently announced an expanded integration with Facebook that will allow people to connect with Facebook friends on Yahoo! and share Yahoo! content with Facebook friends as well
- Ultimately, Yahoo! sees social as an enabler and as a dimension that is part of everything we do—and everything people do online.
As you can see from the email, Yahoo does not really think much about the new "Google Buzz" and have been working on the product for quite some time now, however, comparing both these products at this point would not be right. However, Google has definitely done a lot of thinking and has always been under pressure from social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, who have overtaken the popularity of Google.
Unlike Google Buzz, Yahoo Updates is also integrated into Yahoo Messenger 10. Google Buzz is definitely a product to watch out for, and unlike Google Wave, this might not be a failure, however, it would be interesting to see how it stacks up against Yahoo Updates amongst other things.
Comment on This Post |
Tweet This |
Share on Facebook |
Save to Delicious |
Stumble This |
Digg This |
Don’t miss these Related Posts:
- Disable Yahoo Insider Popup
- Google Talk and Yahoo Messenger Interoperability: Is Yahoo Adding Salt to the Microsoft Wounds?
- Google Buzz: Social Sharing by Google
- Yahoo Status Changer for Media Player and Winamp
- Yahoo Launches Web Messenger
Join Techie Buzz on Your Favorite Social Networking Sites