The Supreme Court on Wednesday declared government’s Aadhaar scheme as Constitutionally valid and also struck down Section 57 of Aadhaar Act permitting private entities to avail Aadhaar data. “Robust data protection regime has to be brought in place as early as possible,” Justice Sikri said while reading out the majority judgement.
The court said that the Aadhaar authentication data cannot be stored for more than six months.
WHAT NEEDS AADHAAR LINKING:
1) It is mandatory to link PAN card with Aadhaar
2) Aadhaar is a must for filing income tax returns
3) Aadhaar is necessary for availing welfare schemes and subsidies given by the government
Aadhaar not mandatory for opening of bank account
No mobile company can demand “Aadhaar card”
Aadhaar need not be made compulsory for school admissions
CBSE, NEET, UGC cannot make Aadhaar mandatory
Telecom service providers can’t seek linking of Aadhaar
Not mandatory to link Aadhaar to bank accounts
As of today telecom operators, banks, schools etc have not provided any facility for customers to unlink their aadhaar card. Hopefully this situation will change soon.
What is VID?
The VID is a temporary, revocable 16-digit random number mapped with the Aadhaar number.
Since this is a digital ID, Aadhaar holders can regenerate it multiple times, which makes it safer than providing your actual Aadhaar number. At present, the VID is valid for a minimum of one day, which means an Aadhaar holder would be able to re-generate a new VID a day after he has generated the first one.
Here’s a step-wise guide to generate Aadhaar Virtual ID on UIDAI’s resident portal:
1. Go to the VID generator on the UIDAI homepage, under Aadhaar services.
2. Enter your Aadhaar number, security code, i.e., the captcha, and click on ‘send OTP’. You will receive the OTP on your UIDAI registered mobile number.
3. Below the field to enter the OTP, you’ll have the option to generate a new VID or retrieve the one you have already generated. On submitting, you’ll receive the VID on your mobile number.
Unique Identification Authority of India ( UIDAI) today introduced a ‘Baal Aadhaar’ card for children below the age of five years. No biometric details will be required to get this blue-coloured Baal Aadhaar card.
“A child below 5 years of age gets a blue in coloured Aadhaar known as Baal Aadhaar. When the child becomes 5 years old, a mandatory biometric update is required,” UIDAI said.