Carl Pei, OnePlus co-founder, has officially announced that the OnePlus 5 will receive a Face Unlock update.
“Due to popular demand, Face Unlock is coming for the OnePlus 5. Thanks for the feedback, and merry Christmas,” he tweeted yesterday.
When OnePlus launched the OnePlus 5T late this year, one of the only big differences that helped separate the two was Face Unlock, the OnePlus 5T’s biometric facial recognition feature. Unlike Face ID on the iPhone X, the 5T’s Face Unlock only uses a regular selfie camera, instead of a fancy infrared depth-mapping camera. That makes for a facial scan that’s less secure and unique, but also faster, and crucially, one that’s only based in software.
The lack of dedicated hardware also means that OnePlus can bring Face Unlock to older devices, and that’s exactly what it plans to do, following customer feedback. OnePlus 5 owners, time to be happy, because OnePlus just gave you a very timely Christmas present.
If you haven’t upgraded your smartphone before making a return to college, OnePlus is now willing to shave 10 percent off the price of its latest flagship, the OnePlus 5. You’ll have to verify that you’re actually a student to receive the coupon code, but it seems like that’s really all there is to it. Once that step’s done, you can save a bit of money and get yourself a device that very few people on campus will have.
The offer is open in the United States, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Belgium, Portugal, Poland, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Croatia, and Hungary. You’ll have a month to use your discount code, but students will be able toredeem the deal once each year while enrolled.
You’ll have to verify that you’re a student by logging in to a Student Beans account (or create a new one if needed). More information is available at OnePlus via the two source links below.
sources: OnePlus Student Program, Program announcement
Download OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 4.5.8
- OxygenOS 4.5.8 OTA for OnePlus 5 – Coming Soon
- OxygenOS 4.5.8 Full ROM for OnePlus 5 – Download Here
Install OnePlus 5 OxygenOS 4.5.8 Update
1. Visit this link and download the OxygenOS 4.5.8 full ROM and save the ZIP file on your phone.
2. Now Navigate to Phone Settings > System Updates > Settings Icon > Local Upgrade & Select the ROM File
3. Once selected system would prompt upgrade now
4. Select upgrade now and the system would reboot into stock recovery and flash the ROM file.
5. The installer would itself flash the ROM and reboot the device.
Now your phone will reboot and your OnePlus 5 is now running on the latest OxygenOS 4.5.8 firmware & OS based on 7.1.1 Nougat.
OxygenOS 4.5.7 was withdrawn, we are pushing out the incremental roll-out of OxygenOS 4.5.8 OTA for the OnePlus 5 instead. Here are some of the highlights of this build:
- Introducing the all new OnePlus Slate font
- Added EIS for 4K video recording
- Updated Android security patch level to 1st July 2017
- Wi-Fi connectivity improvements
- Standby battery enhancements
- Fixed occasional sound leaks in the speakers when using earphones
- Fixed camera shutter sound bug in silent mode for Indian region
- Fixed occasional stutters when playing games
- Fixed battery drain for Jio users