Now that Redsn0w 0.9.6b1 to jailbreak ios 4.1 is available for Windows, you can proceed with iPhone 3G or iPod touch 2G 4.1 iOS jailbreak if you don’t care about unlock and you are on official carrier. iPod Touch 2G MC users may want to stay away as Redsn0w 0.9.6b1 is tethered jailbreak for iOS 4.1.
iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 & iPod Touch 4G users should wait for Greenpois0n iOS 4.1 jailbreak tool. Below is step by step guide to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on Windows with Redsn0w 0.9.6B1.
How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2G 4.1 iOS
1. Download iOS 4.1 for iPhone 3G & iPod Touch 2G
2. Download iTunes 10
3. Download Redsn0w 0.9.6B1
4. Now follow our guide to manually update iOS 4.1 on iPhone 3G & iPod Touch 2G
5. Once you have updated iPhone 3G to iOS 4.1 start Redsn0w 0.9.6B1
6. Click on Browse button and select iPhone 3G 4.1 firmware (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw) downloaded in step 1
7. Now click next and Redsn0w 0.9.6b1 will prepare data for jailbreak.
8. Now select “Install Cydia” and click Next. (If you want to disable multitasking & wallpaper then simple uncheck respective options).
9. Now You will need to power off your iPhone 3G and connected to computer only then click on next button of Redsn0w 0.9.6b1
10. At this stage you will need to put your iPhone in DFU mode, to do this hold “Power” button and then while holding the “Power” button, you will now have to hold “Home” button too for about 10 seconds. Now after few seconds release “Power” button but keep holding “Home” button until installation begins (about 30 seconds).
11. Now just wait until Redsn0w completes the rest of the process. Once done, your iPhone 3G will restart automatically and you will find it jailbroken with iOS 4.1.
As of now iOS 4.1 baseband is not-unlockable henc you must stay away from about guide & wait for Pwnagetool for iOS 4.1 or use Sn0wbreeze 2.0.2 to create ios 4.1 custom firmware to retain baseband and unlock it with Ultrasn0w.